The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Once again :)

I personally thought the finish on the Rolex watches when compaired to the Omegas was better, but that is only my personal opinion...I was not in there with a microscope or anything, just picked them up and looked at them and felt them...the feel of the Omega to me just reminded me alot of my Old Tag Heuer, something I was not fond of. Also in a way I really liked the lightness of the Rolex as my Tag was quite heavy and always annoyed me, also I had a Larger Invicta Speedway which was just too bulky and heavy..the Rolex was a refreshing change from this as I can barely feel like it is on most days, and unlike other watches it always stays centered on my wrist, others would always fall to one side and require constant repositioning.

In regards to the dial, there was an excellent review up which showed highly magnified images of the new SMP dial and exactly where the luminova bleed was, usually just next to the hour markers on the top ridges of the wave pattern, and also near the writing on the dial...not something anyone would look for, but thought it was interesting and it is very hard to argue with pictures which were that good, and posted by an owner.

I agree that the Red tip looks very cool, and would love to see it on alot more watches...but I am not fond of the way in which they took the hand and dipped it into the paint, making it thicker where the red paint is, once again nothing major but one of those little details where they seemed to cut corners.

I agree that at times I do like the wave pattern, but there are times when I don't..and my GF really did not like the wave pattern at all :)

Don't get me wrong I really like the look of the New Speedmaster Bracelet on the SMP, much more than that of the Basketweave bond bracelet which I could not stand..however I have serious reservations about paying over 1k for a watch which relies on friction pins, you would think you could get a better mounting system for that kind of money, heck Sinn and Zenith can do it, why not Omega?

Totally agree, the price of the SMP is excellent and I wish that Rolex cost the same :)

While I am sure the helium valve is fine and a nice conversation piece, personally I just do not like it or find it necessary...just another thing to worry about comming unscrewed and it does not interest me as I do not saturation dive :) seems more like a gimmick given the depth rating of the watch, something out of place to catch attention.

In regards to the adjustment, I am sure that for most the half links are fine, but I tend to wear my watch high and tight, and if it is not adjusted perfectly it will always fall down onto my lower wrist...have heard of many who cannot get bracelets without fine adjustments at the clasp to fit right.

I have no "problem" with ETA movements in regards to timekeeping, I just think that they are used in so many watches it is hard for them to be special..now if you were talking about the Co-Axial or the Piaguet (Sp?) movement, that would be a different story...I would not hesitate to buy a SMP if it had a Co-Ax movement as it is something other than an ETA.....

Also from what I have read you are quite lucky to live in the UK, as the service there is supposed to be excellent..here in the states it is recommended by many to either find someone local or to send it overseas :)

Good luck with the SMP, it is a great watch and should last many years!!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE