The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Guess it is truly a subjective matter

Hi Allen,

: This is actually _not_ true in my own
: experience; my SMP has a better [more
: crafted] finish than either my Father's or
: my pal Mike's stainless steel black Subs.

Yep, better crafted finish, like confirmed in the reviews.

: This is _definitely_ not true with regards to
: my own SMP; under the loupe the markers are
: spot-on, they are overlaid onto a
: fractionally larger white marker, [which
: effectively "borders" the
: luminova, ok, low-rent!] there is no bleed
: or bump and the edges are completely
: straight.
: Also this SMP has killer legibility under any
: lighting- I was really surprised how good
: this is.

This is the only point were Mathew is right, the only one. The superluminova markers are rather sharp edged and clean, "but" the superluminova distribution on them has alot of potential of improvement. These "dots in the dot" are also most often not really 100% centered. I also find alot of stains in the superluminova parts of the swords hands. You see this uneven superluminova distribution and marks especially at night.

However, the superluminova is the only issue were I agree. Evertyhing else is very subjective and the argument "I would never pay more than 1K for such a watch " is a lough in itself like "salt water resistant ball beared braclets" ;-))). For a Sub one pays 3K and up, for a flimsy clasp and braclet and a sharp edged case as well with a rather raw cut finish. That is ok, right. Hmmmm...how does that sound to you. To me that sounds like "male cow".

: Friction pins may seem like poor engineering,
: but IMHO the Speedmaster-style bracelet on
: my SMP looks and feels _way_ better than the
: standard Sub bracelet, which feels really
: cheap and flimsy.

Yep, but they won't change it, because something that is so classic cannot be changed or even improved, just like an inhouse movement. It just stinks. It's like selling to an American the inferior car is better with the reason "yeah man, it was built in the states". It's not really technical, it just pure emotional and that's the whole crux with Rolex. The myth is stronger than the technical quality. It's the mega excuse they can really be proud of to have achieved.

: No idea about this, the [authorised Omega]
: dealer took a half-link out for me before I
: walked out of the shop, fits perfectly.

Mine fits well as well. However I have 8,5 inch wrists and the weight of the Chronograph will pull it down to earth once in a while. Actually there is no substantial watch that doesn't pull. It also has alot to do with how the wrist bone and arm is shaped. I have rather strong arms that get pretty fast thicker to the elbow, due to the muscels in that region. So my arm and wrist shape is rather poor for a watch to stay where it should be.

: No idea about this either; out-of-the-box my
: watch just gains half a second a day if worn
: 24/7, I haven't got round to testing
: overnight orientations yet.
: If it lasts as long as my Father's first proper
: watch, [Omega Speedmaster, bought by him in
: Germany in 1969, still accurate to about 15
: secs per day, he can't even remember when he
: last had it serviced- should just send it
: over the border to the factory- he lives in
: Luxemburg] I won't be particularly
: surprised.

An accurate movement, nothing more, nothing less.

: If you have the bracelet way too tight??

No way, I didn't even comment that point. I have not only strong wrists, but also strong arms as said. In summer my wrists are by nature a little bit thicker. No way I could ever get the clasp to sping open. It holds like a truck. Just incredibly strong. The one or two cases in the forums are rather exceptions, like the few that say Rolex braclets stretch, right ? ;-))).

: Yes, I would _love_ a Sea Dweller to complement
: my Seamaster, but I am in no way anything
: less than delighted with my first high-end
: watch...I very nearly bought a new
: black-face Tag Heuer Monaco.
: Lucky escape...

Yeah, I would also take that Dweller instead of the annoying date-sub. However, rumors indicate a killer SM Chronograph to come to Basel this April. It will have almost all issues concerning the dial mentioned in here re-visited. It also has that new movement, for me a poor attempt to compete against Rolex, as I'd rather see Omega have already comprehended that Rolex myth and progressed to reality or bejond. An inhouse movement however is the only marketing issue you have these days to improve the price dramatically. So I'm afraid all Seamasters will get it sooner or later.

The crowns of my two Seamasters are rather tight. In fact my Chronograph's crown is so tight that I might will get it adjusted. This is a new never used Ti/Tantalum Chronograph that basically just needs it's time and usage to get silky like my older 150th limited Seamaster.

Andreas

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE