The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: In regards to the issues you bring up

however these were
: all split pin design and I think that Omega
: uses a Solid pin.

What do you mean with "I think" ? Honestly, one should only be nagative about something one really knows !

The Omega solid pin design is a little more complex, due to the combination of solid pins and bearing (no saltwater resistant ball bearings though, sorry ;-)). The friction bearings have one inner seam in the middle that fits perfectly the pin's small "grave" at approx. one third it's length. This asures the pin will not come off. If you have taken off a link yourself you will "know" how solid the complete design and concept is.

: I also do not like the fact that you have to
: see a jeweler to have the bracelet sized and

Well, it's with most things, you either can do it or you don't. Many people manage as well to get the braclet off and put a strap on. These people most likey can exchange a link. But you are right, but therefore the clasp looks that good and solid as it does with the solid end links near the clasp !!! No flimsy stuff.

: are at the risk of having them mess
: something up, I have had a few push pin
: bracelets sized only to have them returned
: with a nice new set of scratches on the
: links where the adjustment tool contacted.

Haha, what arguement is that. Omega is to blame for the dealer's inability to size a braclet and leave scratches. I mean the dealer just has to take a long pin-tool and a small hammer. If they cannot do that properly they shouldn't sell watches. I mean let's get real.

: And I find the Adjustment holes on the sides of
: the Links unappealing, and the whole design
: to just be "cheap".

Yeah right, you have on the upmost the holes in the Rolex case like you mention further down, but the holes in the upper links are not appealing to you. Please try to make sence. Any please don't use the word cheap in regard to the Omega braclet as that is what the world writes about the Rolex braclet design.

: Also I wonder why on the top-most link there
: are holes, whereas all the other permanant
: links have none? seems out of place. Also
: something that Rolex Sub gets bashed on is
: that there are holes in the case, whereas
: the SMP has none, but the Sub does not have
: Holes in the Uppermost link whereas the SMP
: does...in the case of the Rolex you can at
: least use the case holes to remove the
: bracelet, but what can you use the holes in
: the SMP's upper link for as it should be
: permanantly affixed to the SEL link.

See, it's also the Rolex myth saving itself. "the Rolex has at least the holes to exchange the braclet". What you mean with that, like hey I found an excuse why there are holes in the case and why Rolex has not to change to a newer and better looking case concept, like Omega did. I mean we are not saying something negative about those holes in the braclet, but to come with holes in the case and say negative about the holes in the braclet is to me like throwing with stones in a glass-house. Stop it. It appears that neither concept is 100% perfect, neither Rolex or Omega, but did I say that the Rolex is 50% more expensive...

: Don't get me wrong, I do like alot of what
: Omega has to offer, I just think they should
: pay more attention to the little details if
: they ever want to compete with the higher
: brands...especially if they ever plan to
: raise prices!!

Well, they do for the inhouse movement ! As far as I know the SS Seamaster with the 1120 mov. is still at least 50% cheaper than the Sub.

: Where they are for price/product is
: good...about on par with Tag in pricing but
: with a better product, if they want to
: charge more they had better expect to move
: up to IWC level of Finishing and
: Service..the first is possible, the second
: will be alot harder in the US...least that
: is my opinion

I think hear you should also read a bit more into details. Omega has for sure a higher overall quality than Tag in many ways. You would need to compare certain specific types, to make a conclusive non-out-of-the-stomach-statement. Tag however makes strong and very solid cases and braclets (Link, Kirium, SEL), something where Rolex has alot of potential for improvements. So take caution about what you are saying, it could be that even Rolex has something to learn from Tag !!!

I'm ending replying to this thread, as I see really alot of of hot air arguments. So seldomly these comparisons are truly objective (scientific) and really compare. You simply cannot argue against emotions, something that Rolex can write anytime into their brochures as a feature....

so long,

Andreas

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE