The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

In regards to the issues you bring up
In Response To: Re: Once again :) ()

You will most likely never see the Luminova "Bleed" with the Naked eye, as it requires a Loupe, or a Camera with a good Macro mode..in all honesty it is a real Nit-pickey thing, but I am a real Nit-pickey guy..YOu will see the bleed either next to an Applied hour marker or next to the writing on the dial, usually on the top of the ridge of the wave pattern....if you are of the sort that does not care if you cannot see it then it is no big deal, for me it is just one of those "Little things" that can be improved upon by boardering the Markers, as in the NON AC Smp...

Like the Luminova bleed, the dipped hour hand is another nit-pickey thing...where if you look at the hand closely, preferably under magnification, you will see that the tip has been dipped in red paint, making the coating slightly uneven, and also making the tip slightly thicker...just one way to cut corners instead of having it either hand applied, or even sprayed as it is far easier to dip (No masking required) however it leaves an uneven finish.

Finally in regards to the Friction pin bracelet..while it may be fully functional, personally I see it as a cheap solution. Something you normally see on low end watches such as Movado, Reymond Weil, and even those extra cheapies in the Targets and such. Most high end brands usually resort to something other than Push pins (Sinn, Zenith, Breitling, Rolex and IWC all use either Screws or in the case of IWC have an interesting method for Adjusting bracelets).

Personally I have had my share of friction pin bracelets fail on me by the pins loosening up and then falling out, thus causing the bracelet to fall apart. however these were all split pin design and I think that Omega uses a Solid pin.

I also do not like the fact that you have to see a jeweler to have the bracelet sized and are at the risk of having them mess something up, I have had a few push pin bracelets sized only to have them returned with a nice new set of scratches on the links where the adjustment tool contacted.

And I find the Adjustment holes on the sides of the Links unappealing, and the whole design to just be "cheap".

Also I wonder why on the top-most link there are holes, whereas all the other permanant links have none? seems out of place. Also something that Rolex Sub gets bashed on is that there are holes in the case, whereas the SMP has none, but the Sub does not have Holes in the Uppermost link whereas the SMP does...in the case of the Rolex you can at least use the case holes to remove the bracelet, but what can you use the holes in the SMP's upper link for as it should be permanantly affixed to the SEL link.

Don't get me wrong, I do like alot of what Omega has to offer, I just think they should pay more attention to the little details if they ever want to compete with the higher brands...especially if they ever plan to raise prices!!

Where they are for price/product is good...about on par with Tag in pricing but with a better product, if they want to charge more they had better expect to move up to IWC level of Finishing and Service..the first is possible, the second will be alot harder in the US...least that is my opinion

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE