The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
SomeThoughts, from one who owns both...
In Response To: vintage vs re-issue ()

vintage vs re-issue Posted By: Ralph Date: 5/30/07 07:37 GMT

i´m am newby in the Heuer-watches. (my dialy watch is SMP 300 auto)

Hiya Ralph... I own quite a few Omega's myself. Happen to be wearing my Beater Porsche Design Orfina 5100 Stainless this morning, so far.

I´m planning on bying a Carrera, looks as a great watch to me, read te articles of Chuck (great!)

Thank you for the kind words... I'm not sure that's the best article for you to be reading for the query you pose though...

The problem is wich one to get?

That's your query... Here is the better article for your purposes:
Carrera Comparison -- Vintage (left) and Re-Edition (right):

I have seen a vintage, suppose late 60, black dial en 3 sub dials, cal 72 for 1650 euro en a 98 reissue (1998) for 1450 euro silver dial. Although I like the looks of the reissue more, it just seems not the real deal, if you know what I mean.

With most retro watches I would agree with that assessment, but I'm not sure I would with the '64 Heuer Carrera Re-Issue... For in my opinion this is one watch (at least the Manual wind Lemania 1873 model) that TAG-Heuer did absolutely 100% correct and as they should have done.

I own a Valjoux 72 White Dial Carrera 12...

I own a pair of the Re-Issues:

[I also own a Black Dial Re-Issue which I haven't taken a snap of]...

And the only reason why the vintage model get's more wrist time than the reissue is that I keep the Vintage model in a case that is easier for me to access than the Retro models. That's it.

Please some advise: what are the experiences with the vintage, can it be a daily wearer?

Here's the schtick with the vintage model. Yes you can wear it daily if you should choose to. The biggest issue and concern is (well I guess there are two concerns...]:
1] the vintage Three-Register models were Valjoux 72 powered, which is a good movement, but it hasn't been in production for about 20 years or so. So far in my experience parts haven't been a problem, but... No one really knows how long that situation will remain.

Another thing about the Valjoux 72 series, and this is sometimes a point of contention among some... Is that I personally prefer the Lemania 873 movement [and the Lemania base movement most commonly seen as the Omega c.321] over the Valjoux 72. I own [literally] dozens of various Valjoux 72's and they have been in my experience solid performers. However, there are elements of their design that seem a bit on the "under-engineered" side compared with the Lemania competition:

Above Left, we have the Valjoux 72 picture (unadorned) that G posted,

Left, the c.321.

Above is an animation of the Valjoux 72 showing two of several levers in the Valjoux 72 that are considerably thiner and more delicate than the methods that Lemania use in the c.321, or the c.x87x series of movements. While I personally have never experienced a failure of one of these parts, they look exceedinly fragile and the Lemania seems to be much beefier by means of comparision...

When I look at the indicated items on the Valjoux movement, I think "Delicate". When I look at the same components on the Valjoux, I think "BEEFY".

Additionally, know that the c.1873 Lemania movement remains in production (same movement as the Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch") and spares are available and plentiful.

2] As a daily wearer, consider a Vintage Heuer like you would a Vintage A.C. Cobra 289/427, and the more modern "re-Edition" as a recent Caroll Shelby new model... If you smack any of the above into the concrete you'll feel awful. But chances are you'd feel worse about hurting the 40 year old vintage models than the items of more recent manufacture. Realize that wearing a Vintage Carrera in today's world is not entirely unlike driving a vintage 1960's Sport's car in the daily commute to work. It's not so much your afraid of doing damage to it that you're afraid of someone else running into your vintage: Cobra, XKE, 911, etc.

How about the fake-feeling of the re issue?

There is nothing fake about the feel of the Carrera Re-Issue. In fact, discounting the visual difference in the dial, caseback and movement, TAG-Heuer has done an outstanding job at recreating the feel of the Vintage Carrera. Sight unseen I doubt anyone other than a blind person with enhanced tactile senses would be able to detect consistantly which model is which. The Re-Edition is a GREAT watch in it's own right. It's a DAMN SHAME that TAG-Heuer can not pry the Lemania 1873 movement out of Swatch Group so they can continue to make this excelent model. Swatch probably fears that this watch would cut into their Moonwatch sales, and there may well be something to that fear. TAG-Heuer did an outstanding job at faithfully recreating the spirit of the original, while changing the elements just enough that detail oriented collectors wouldn't have any problem distinguishing between vintage elements and the Re-Edition's counterparts.

If you're the sort of fellow who prefers vintage and are willing to deal with the much tougher parts availability issues then you have to consider would you ever be satisfied with the Re-Edition. If you love the design, don't mind the minor differences in the dial, hands, caseback, etc. and like the idea of having a movement with a proven (by NASA) reputation for durability under stressful conditions with a much better situation for parts, you have to ask yourself would the Vintage Carrera be a serious consideration.

Thanks

Ralph

As I said, the only reason my vintage Carrera get's more wrist time than my Re-Edition's is that it's stored far closer to my wrist. I hope that my reply has been more helpful to you than confusing. If it has been confusing, feel free to post a follow-up and I'll do my best to clear things up! I've included a snap of the Lemania 1873 movement as seen in the Re-Edition at the end of this post for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers and Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE