The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Of Carrera's, Speedmasters & shots across the bow…

Re: SomeThoughts, from one who owns both... Posted By: Mark Moss Date: 5/30/07 14:53 GMT

In Response To: SomeThoughts, from one who owns both... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

I largely agree with Chuck - the Lemania reedition is a fine watch (and clearly a reedition of a Carrera, whereas some of the more recent ones appear to be reeditioning Speedmasters for some reason!).

Well, certainly nothing is created in a vacuum, and indeed the current 7750 Based Carrera's bear a closer resemblence to a Speedmaster (At least the 7750 based Speedmasters) than just about any other Vintage Carrera... However, I can [and have] pointed out that many of the elements that people say are "Speedmaster-ish" either harken back to previous Carrera's or brands/models other than the 7750 based Speedmasters:
NOPE, I disagree to a significant extent. --->

[Please note: That TZ post was made over two years ago. Before Omega refreshed both the ETA/DD and Valjoux/ETA 7750 based Speedmaster lines...]

At the time of the introduction of the new TAG-Heuer 7750 Based Carrera, the Speedmaster ETA/DD and Valjoux 7750 lines had been languishing unchanged for about 8 years. Snap-backs, 30m water resistance, and in the case of the Speedmaster Date models in my opinion unattractive styling. It was my opinion at the time that the 7750 Carrera was clearly a shot across Omega's bow by TAG saying: “If you're going to let the 7750 models languish, we're going to sell one that we think is better”.

Last fall Omega trotted out revised Speedmaster 7750 based models which have screw backs, better water resistance, new twin push-button bracelet and COSC rating. The new Speedmaster is, well..., a shot across TAG-Heuer's bow saying "Put it up or shut it up, beee-oitch!”...

The one quibble I have is - why no Carrera name on the dial? Barring the 12 Dato (where there's not really room!) all the vintage Carreras I can think of bore the name.

I don't have an answer for that one other than speculation that possibly they were concerned with the prospect of people using new dials in old Carreras and passing them off as Vintage. Since the newer dials didn't have CARRERA on them, the con-artists would have to make the effort to add it for their "work" to be close enough to fool the unsuspecting.

Ok, it moved about a bit (Cal 15s, 5100s) but it was there. Cosmetic mainly, but it does spoil the look of the watch a little for me!

I can see that. I'd personally prefer they had figured a way to include it (perhaps increase the space between the CARRERA text and the Heuer Logo. But it's not a deal killer for me.

But that's just me.

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE