The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: SomeThoughts, from one who owns both...

Sir Charles
Interestng comments as always.
FWIW, it seems like this is the perfect place to trot out Memphis Raines in the Ferrari dealer from Gone in 60 Seconds.
Where he compares the 360 Modena that he finds in front of Starbucks to the 4 cam 275GTB that will make velvet ropes part and champagne flow from the heavens.
I still consider my 861 Speedmaster is a vintage piece, albeit one that's still in production in some form. (Although if I were buying back in the day when a 321 and an 861 were roughly comparable in price, I would have bought the 321) I may be a poseur and a weenie, but not because I wear an 861 Speedy (24/7 every single day BTW)
But while I think that some of the TAG Heuer reissues are nice watches, they're not classic like an old Carrera. The vintage watch is much cooler, not too much more expensive to buy, and cheaper to own both in the short run (buy a new TAG today and try and sell it tomorrow) and the long run (I fully expect that if you hold on to a nice vintage carrera, you'll be able to buy a small fleet of reissues in five years)
Two requests, Mr. Maddox.
1) repost that Memphis Raines essay. It's very very good.
2) Sell me your Siffert Autavia cheap, In about 50 years it'll be impossible to find parts for it.
(You can't blame a guy for trying.)

best
Allen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE